Sunday, December 30, 2007
Anyone making any new year's resolutions?
Having previously written in a scatty manner for most of the year, I've suddenly hit a routine that suits me, so my resolutions are mostly to do with that. Here they are:
- Get to bed early. If you start work early enough in the morning, the horrors of time pressure recede tremendously, but it doesn't work if you're half asleep. No late nights; I shall do my socialising at weekends.
- Floss my teeth every day.
- Give up alcohol, at least for a while. I don't drink much anyway, and it would save explaining to be able to say 'I don't drink'.
- Never again internet-search my name. It puts too much attention on what happens to the fiction after I've written it, and my attention should be on what I'm writing now.
- Decorate the blank wall in my study.
The thing about these resolutions, of course, is that they're all things I want to do anyway. Last year I didn't resolve anything: I couldn't think of any particularly useful resolutions to make, and if I made some up just for the sake of it, I knew I wouldn't stick to them. Resolving to do something you're not motivated to do is pointless. To my mind, the best way of making a resolution is to think of something that's an act of self-care rather than self-flagellation, and just determine on it to give yourself a little push in the right direction.
What are your views on resolutions? Making any? For 'em? Agin 'em?
Happy new year, anyway.
I have some resolutions, but they're more like a list of goals that I'm resolving to reconsecrate in this new year. Most of them are things I've at least started on, but that got set aside a bit in the midst of the holiday crazies.
One of them is to take the two novels I bashed out over the past two years for National Novel Writing Month, merge them into a unified and complete manuscript, and then start looking at places to submit it. Wish me luck.
You don't have to Google yourself. Sign up to Google Alerts, and they do the searching for you ;-)Post a Comment
Have a lovely day! :-)
July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010